[pct-l] Satellite phones

In addition to the voice transmitting Iridium system, there is a
commercial satellite communications company called Orrbcom ( I believe
that's the correct spelling but it may have one more m or one less r ).
Their service requires the purchase of a Magellan Systems Corporation
GSC 100 transceiver / GPS receiver ( about $1500 ) with which you can
send and receive e-mail and receive GPS data as well as send real time
GPS data to another GSC 100 unit anywhere in range of their 2 sats. They
have a web site with service prices which are a lot cheaper than the
Iridium voice transmission system, although if you're alone and
seriously injured it might be hard to tap out an e-mail post on
itty-bitty keys, but at least with the GPS you could relay your exact
location. If I remember correctly, Orrbcom has a sale on through the end
of this month where they waive 6 months of service fees ( $30 per month
).

                               ~ Al ~