Re: [pct-l] Please don't take this seriously, I'm being a total wise-ass....

I think the alternative to bringing your own car can with you into Yosemite is
to, once and for all, do away with private automobiles in the Park, establish
an extensive public transit system into and out of the Park, with parking lots
just outside, and at various intervals along the major roadways leading to the
park - even a park and ride program maybe from, I dunno, Reno and Sacramento.
  The lot just outside the Park would have a large holding room with lockers
for everybody's odiferous items which they weren't immediately using. Every
few minutes shuttle buses would drop by heading to various parts of the valley,
and bicycles would be available free of charge as the ultimate alternative to
Park mobility. The bikes would not be destroyed by bears because they wouldn't
be able to hold a week's worth of smoked sausage. The food room would be
animal-proof. Everyone's car would be safe, with a nice gate and 24hr attendant,
and a fence running the lot's perimeter. While on the bus riding around the
park, the driver would enlighten the folks as to the Park's flora, fauna,
history et al, including a lengthy discussion on bear habits and what we need
to do to thwart our misfortune and theirs. We could get off the bus once we
were briefed, at any number of stations, feel free to ambulate or camp/
backpack/climb, etc., and hop back on another bus from whatever station
whenever we chose.
  The Valley would lose its summertime gridlock, excessive heat, exhaust
fumes, and maybe even some folks who don't belong there in the first place.
In this scenario, all Americans would have a _right_ to use the Park, but
not in the same manner they treat their local city of choice. They would be
forced to adapt, maybe lose some of their perceived freedom, but in the
prcoess they might learn that special places require special measures to keep
them intact for all and ever. They might come to see the National Parks as
models of beauty and human efficiency - we molding to the natural environment
rather than the other way around. They might take this inspiration then back
to their corner of the country or globe, and spread the credo that we can do
things a better way. We just need to "get out of our God-da** automobiles for
awhile" as the original inspiration for these ideas once wrote.
- Blister>