Re: [pct-l] Re: Blisters

--On Monday, October 12, 1998, 11:43 AM -0600 "Karen Elder"
<bluesky@rt66.com> wrote:

I'm convinced that heavy
> boots and fast hiking contribute most to blisters. Anyone else have any
> ideas?
>
> Karen

Karen,

I wear heavy boots (Redwings, hightop, all leather, rubber lug sole, eyelet
and hook design), but don't usually hike very fast.  (and that's more from
preference than from the weight of the boots.)  This summer in the Wind
Rivers I got a small blister on top of one toe on my right foot which was
caused by an extremely steep downhill trail and an ill-fitting sock.  A
change of socks, a bandaid over the blister, and I was fine.  I haven't had
many blisters in 29 years of backpacking, dayhikes, etc., but when I have,
it has been because of poor fit of boots or socks.

Craig Smith