Re: [pct-l] Re: [PCT-L] zip stoves

Brick - I think you are right.  I camped next to a guy in the Inyo
National Forest at Rea lakes who was using a Sierra Stove(similar to Zip
in the respect that it also burns wood).  The area that we camped in was
above 10,000ft and therefore campfires were prohibited, as this is the
regulation there.  He said that he checked it out with a forest ranger
at a ranger station 2 miles away who said that the small wood burning
stove does not fall under the campfire prohibition. He also said that
the purpose for the prohibition is because the dead wood does not
regenerate fast enough if everyone built campfires.  However, since the
Sierra stove only burns small twigs and sticks that are no larger than a
pencil, it does not affect the deadwood accumulation as much as building
a campfire with pieces of dead branches, etc.

However, if the purpose of the ban is drought related, that's a
different story.  The guy I saw said that he had to dump out the ashes
before packing the stove.  Therefore, if there was an extreme fire
hazard, that could be dangerous.

Please let me emphasise(for those eager to rebut with rules/regulations
and official statements) that this post has not one shred of law or
fact, it is only my observations and opinion.

peace,
Dude in TX