[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #585

Hi again from Washington State, I,ve been reading some of these e-mails about
zip stoves. What is the purpose of having one?  They are not common here as we
have lots of rain and no one wants to hunt up dry wood after a long day on the
trail. If it,s because they don,t use fossil fuel, that,s like complaining
about second hand smoke when you smoke 4 packs a day. I use more gas per day
going to work than I used in six months doing the PCT in my little Optimus!
One more little whine to thow out, I really dislike those small nylon coffin
tents many people use on the PCT. (one man gloried bivies) It,s nice to carry
a few pounds more tent and get a one to two man size (30 square feet) to sit
out a storm in the Sierra,s than just a suvival suit for your sleeping bag. In
some cases, heavier gear is an avantage on the PCT. You will stand a better
chance on one continuos trip on the trail vs hopping and skipping back and
forth. 20 some years ago, our pct gear was somewhat heavy, now I feel, it to
far the other way. Ray Jardine,s book is great and he has some good idea,s
,but going ultra light in some places could be trouble. Thanks Monte PCT 77