Re: [pct-l] Re: Feet and deodorant sticks

Several listers wrote about using deodorant on feet:

>"So let me ask everybody, has anyone tried Speed Stick on their feet yet??
Did anyone else see the CNN piece about the ongoing test at West Point,
where a control group of cadets have been putting stick deodorant on their
feet and blisters have been cut by 50% in their group over those not putting
stick deodorant on their feet?"

>"Speed-stick is a new one on me.  I heard about Vaseline on blisters.... It
worked beautifully.  They were able to hike just fine without pain and the
blisters actually started healing."
>"I have been using an anti-persirant spray on my feet when I snow
ski, so that they don't swaet and then get cold, but that's the only use
of deodorant on feet that I've heard of.  If the speed-stick works for
blisters, great.

Some folks can gain by using a deodorant on their feet, especially those who
are prone to sweaty feet.  One company makes a spray product for this
purpose (ONOX - Foot Solution).  There are many ways to prevent blisters,
and prevention is always better than having to fix them after they start.
Vaseline is an old favorite, but there are many more advanced products to
use as lubricants and promote healing at the same time.

Some folks are better off to use a mositure reducing powder instead of a
lubricant.  Their feet get to soft and sensitive with the use of a
luibricant and actually become more prone to blisters.  Others will use
tape, duct tape or elastikon to pretape and prevent hot spots and blisters
from forming.

Blister prevention and treatments have become more advanced as new products
have become available.  And as ultra sports such as ultramarathons and
extreme sports as the ECO-Challenge have grown in popularity, new and better
methods of fixing blisters have also been discovered.

In writing my book FIXING YOUR FEET, I interviewed many individuals who have
found what works for them to prevent and fix blsiters and other foot
problems.  And that is the key... finding what works for you.

John Vonhof
vonhof@pacbell.net
author: FIXING YOUR FEET: Preventive Maintenance and Treatments for Foot
Problems of Runners, Hikers, and Adventure Racers
web site: http://www.footworkpub.com (check out the book here)