Re: [pct-l] introductions

In a message dated 9/13/98 3:08:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
sjkw3213@oberlin.edu writes:

>         My name is Kristian.  I was on this list a while ago and am just now
>  returning.  I am planning on hiking the PCT North to South this upcoming
>  summer.  I am doing it North to SOuth primarily because I am a sophomore at
>  Oberlin college and have to wait till school gets out in late May.

I assume, then, that you've arranged some sort of time off during your junior
year since it will be practically impossible for you to hike the entire length
of the trail and still get back in time for your fall classes. I had the same
problem (had to get back for the first week of grad school) so I only had
enough time to hike California. And that was still pushing it.

I have
>  done a fair amount of research and have most of the gear, but need some
help
>  on the food issue.  Could some veteran hikers send me a rough grocery list?
>  I know corn past is supposed to be amazing, but what else?

As most people will tell you, corn pasta has earned an utterly unfounded
reputation for possessing some sort of magical power that you will allow to
you skip along the trail singing innocent ditties and feeling as light as a
cloud. Nonsense. It is, however, a food you will want to incorporate into your
meals, but maybe only one per resupply. Other meals that are just as effective
and a lot more tasty are mac and cheese, Lipton Pasta dinners, and
combinations of instant mashed potatoes, Ramen noodles, some instant soups,
cream corn, and three-bean salad.

Corn pasta really isn't THAT disgusting, provided you throw in the right
ingredients. I used olive oil, garlic powder, and italian spices, and it
tasted pretty good actually.

I got about 80% of my stuff at Sam's Club for about 500 bucks. Sure, maybe I
sacrificed a little in the way of selection, but I bet I saved a ton of money.
I had to get the corn pasta, Clif Bars, Granola cereal, and Bear Valley Bars
at a health food store. By the way, here is one tip for you - ignore whatever
anyone else says about them, because Bear Valley Bars are the most vile,
repulsive, stomach-roiling, gagging things I have ever put in my mouth. Don't
get them.

I am also
>  interested in the hot breakfast vs. cold breakfast argument, etc.

If you become a weight freak, like I did, hot breakfasts are out. You save
weight by taking less bulky foods and by using less stove fuel. Plus, you give
yourself twice as much chance of your stove breaking down, and also,
psychologically, you prolong the time in the morning before you get on the
trail. I made it a goal to hit the trail within half hour of getting up, and
for some reason it did wonders for maintaining a positive mindframe for most
of the day. Pop Tarts and Nutri-Grain bars worked fine for me.

Lunch consisted of numerous snacks all throughout the day of the following:
Beef Jerky, Gorp, dried fruit, fruit leather, clif bars, granola bars, fig
newtons, sausage, hard cheese, and Stone Wheat Thins.

Keep on Keepin' on,
Ryel