Re: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #498

It snow yesterday at 4600 feet, not much but a few flakes.  Upper
elevations got up to a foot of snow.  Yes it is a wierd year.
Cheers

----------
> From: Dave Sloan <dsloan@hotmail.com>
> To: pct-l@saffron.hack.net
> Subject: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #498
> Date: Wednesday, May 27, 1998 8:01 AM
>
> Michael,
>
> Regarding weather on the JMT in July:  I did the JMT last September and
> it was snow free.  Early Fall can be one of the best times to be in the
> Sierras.  I prefer to walk the trail when there is no snow, and it
> sounds like you do, too.  As you know, this is an unusual year and there
> has been a lot more snow than usual.  This will not be the best year to
> do the JMT, but you'll definitely have better luck later in the Summer.
> I, myself, have decided to spend two weeks in the Canadian Rockies this
> summer instead of the Sierras, due to the snow pack.
>
> If you want more advice on the JMT, I've got plenty!
>
> dsloan@hotmail.com
>
> pct-l-digest wrote:
> >
> > pct-l-digest          Wednesday, May 27 1998          Volume 01 :
Number 498

from [drufner@u csd.edu (dan rufner)]
submission from [Craig Gif fen <craig@newestindustry.com>]
> [...]
submission from [drufner@u csd.edu (dan rufner)]

> > >From owner-pct-l@saffron.hack.net Thu May 21 12:01:56 1998
> > Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:01:56 -0500 (CDT)
> > From: owner-pct-l@saffron.hack.net
> > To: owner-pct-l@saffron.hack.net
> > Subject: BOUNCE pct-l@saffron.hack.net:    Non-member submission from
> > [drufner@u
> > csd.edu (dan rufner)]
> >
> > >From owner-pct-l  Thu May 21 12:01:54 1998
> > Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 10:01:10 +0100
> > To: pct-l@saffron.hack.net
> > From: drufner@ucsd.edu (dan rufner)
> > Subject: quick answer
> >
> > I haven't responded in awhile, in part due to the fact that the topics
> > haven't been of much interest to me lately due to much politicing going
on.
> > Thanks for getting back to trail topics.
> >
> > Michael wrote in with the snippet and question:
> >
> > "I am planning a trip on the Muir trail beginning July 1.  The original
> > plan was to hike South to North and starting at Cottonwood pass (and
> > then approaching and climbing Whitney from the West), but when I called
> > the Whitney Ranger station in Lone Pine, I was advised that there would
> > probably still be snow at the peak and other passes.
> >

> > My hiking partner and I do not have technical experience with crampons
> > or ice axes, and my guess is that Whitney is probably not the place to
> > learn!
> >
> > Unfortunately the question wasn't answered by anyone.  In fact there
was no
> > type of answer to any type of question about hiking the PCT at all.
> > Someone said that was not the norm, so I guess I'll hang in there.  If
> > anyone has an answer to the question posed by the gentleman I quoted, I
> > sure would appreciate an answer."
> >
> > The reason you may not have heard is some people reply directly to the
> > sender.  Also, a number of people on the list have begun summer
journeys.
> > And, unfortunately, a number of knowledgeable people have dropped the
list.
> > So I'll add my thoughts and I know you will get more.
> >
> > Normally in July you will run into some patchy snow in the Sierras but
> > nothing too technical. However, this year seems to be a bit more than
> > normal with predictions (at least ones I've seen) having heavy snowpack
on
> > the passes into August.  If this is true, a number of the passes and
peaks
> > could pose interesting challenges.  True, a number of people should
have
> > passed through so it will be passible without equipment, but being
> > unprepared for mistakes would be ugly.
> >
> > I personally don't rely on my crampons much, only on very cold, icy
snow or
> > on steep slopes.  At the time you are going through there should be
steps
> > and, if not, the snow should be soft enough to kick step through.
Crampons
> > would just ball up with soft snow and be of little use.  An ice axe,
> > however, is what I would consider a necessity, both for ease in
walking, a
> > cane to get out of postholes, and to self arrest in a fall.
> >
> > However, just carrying an axe does no good if you don't know how to use
it.
> > I was amazed in '96 at the number of thru hikers carrying axes that had
no
> > training and very little idea how to use it.  Some were even teaching
> > others bad information while sitting around fires at Kennedy Meadows.
Find

http://www.hack.net/lists *

> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 22:21:40 -0700
> > From: Brick Robbins <brick@ix.netcom.com>
> > Subject: [pct-l] fwd BOUNCE pct-l@saffron.hack.net
> >
> > Subject: BOUNCE pct-l@saffron.hack.net:    Non-member submission from
["JP
> > Const
> > rucoes e Montagens Ltda" <jpcm@merconet.com.br>]   Admin request of
type
> > /\bunsu
> > bscribe\b/i at line 1
> >
> > From: "JP Construcoes e Montagens Ltda" <jpcm@merconet.com.br>
> > To: <atml@trailplace.com>, <pct-l@saffron.hack.net>
> > Subject: See y'all
> > Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 19:32:33 -0300
> >
> > Well, my time in Brasil has come to a close, and I must un\subscribe to
the
> > lists.  My departure is a bit early, as my computer crashed today, I
> > actually still have 10 days hear.  Any rate thanks to all for the good
> > commentary.  Hope to rejoin soon.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Andy Somers
> > Bald Eagle GA->ME '95
> > S=E3o Paulo, Brasil (soon to be Huntsville, AL; USA)
=20
> > * From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List | For info
http://www.hack.net/lists *

> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 22:49:33 -0700
> > From: Brick Robbins <brick@ix.netcom.com>
> > Subject: [pct-l] fwd: BOUNCE pct-l@saffron.hack.net:    Non-member
submission from [Craig Gif fen <craig@newestindustry.com>]

> > Message 48:
> > >From owner-pct-l@saffron.hack.net Tue May 26 00:26:52 1998
> > Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 00:26:52 -0500 (CDT)
> > From: owner-pct-l@saffron.hack.net
> > To: owner-pct-l@saffron.hack.net
> > Subject: BOUNCE pct-l@saffron.hack.net:    Non-member submission from
> > [Craig Gif
> > fen <craig@newestindustry.com>]
> >
> > >From owner-pct-l  Tue May 26 00:26:50 1998
> > Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 22:33:02 -0700
> > To: pct-l@saffron.hack.net
> > From: Craig Giffen <craig@newestindustry.com>
> > Subject: Phone Numbers
> >
> > I have most of the PO phone numbers on the PCT planning program.  They
> > should be correct, but I haven't checked all of them.
> >
> > http://www.newestindustry.com/pct/pctprogram.html
> >
> > Craig Giffen
> > Portland, OR
> > * From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List | For info
http://www.hack.net/lists *

> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 09:34:59 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: "Milt Webb, IQ Software" <milt@iqsc.com>
> > Subject: [pct-l] Hotel closed I-5 and 138 (fwd)

called Cajon Junction where I-5 and 138 cross.  The trail guides mention a
hotel at this junction that can be used as the PCT crosses here.

> > Guess what?  The hotel is out of business.
> >
> > Make other plans.
> >
> > Pete
> >
> > * From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List | For info
http://www.hack.net/lists *

> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 09:35:36 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: "Milt Webb, IQ Software" <milt@iqsc.com>
> > Subject: [pct-l] Auga Dulce box drop (fwd)

Wrightwood tonight.  Their next stop is in Auga Dulce and hopefully their
box will be there - somewhere.  Rumors are all over the hiker "camp" that
the Century 21 office has been closed for six weeks plus and the fate of
supplies are ???

> > SOme think that the boxes are being held at a general store nearby by
the name of Ray or Richard (?) Canyon Market.  Lots of rumors, few facts at
this point.

> > As my box hasn't RTS yet, I'm hopefull it is there for them somewhere.
> >
> > Let's post the right address here...
> >
> > Pete
> >
> > * From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List | For info
http://www.hack.net/lists *

> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 09:38:05 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: "Milt Webb, IQ Software" <milt@iqsc.com>
> > Subject: [pct-l] JMT weather (fwd)

July,
> > since the road over Kaiser Pass, our only way in, may not be plowed at
its
> > usual time (mid to late May). Please contact us by phone or email for
the
> > latest information regarding our storage of your food cache. <<
> > * From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List | For info
http://www.hack.net/lists *

> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 14:23:34 EDT
> > From: Charcholla <Charcholla@aol.com>
> > Subject: [pct-l] Section F Trail Conditions
> >
> > Hikers,
> >
> > Friends (Cher, Trish, Jan, Jim) and I just returned from day-hiking the
PCT
> > from Robin Bird Spring (Map F6) south to the Cameron Road overpass (Map
F1) on
> > Highway 58 near Mojave. For this part of the PCT, there was snow
visible on
> > the Piute Mountains above us, but none on the trail. Hikers wearing
running
> > shoes should have their boots with them for the miles of rocky road /
trail 14
> > or so miles from the Zond Wind Farms to Golden Oaks Springs.
> >
> > For other section hikers, the access from Kelso Valley up Jawbone
Canyon Road
> > to the PCT was open for 4WD, high-ground-clearance vehicles. We drove
up on
> > Piute Mountain Road and turned south on Jawbone Canyon Road to reach
Robin
> > Bird Spring and the PCT. That section of Jawbone had many ditches from
excess
> > water crossing the road. There is also a "large" rock blocking half the
road
> > (in the middle). We were able to pass with Explorer-width vehicles by
driving
> > with our wheels on top on the road's berm. I doubt that a full-width
vehicle
> > could get around the rock. Ford Expeditions can forget driving around
the
> > rock.
> >
> > When we returned on Monday to retrieve shuttle vehicles, we drove
Jawbone
> > Canyon Road from the south (up Geringer Grade) to reach Robin Bird
Spring.
> > There were many washouts across the road, but we managed by crossing
the
> > washouts on the high side of the road. Crossing some washouts even on
the high
> > side was "marginal," but the low side would have been impossible (some
> > washouts were 3-5 feet deep on the low side of the road).
> >
> > Available water through this 34-mile section is still limited to Golden
Oak
> > Springs and Robin Bird Springs (our trailhead). There was a small creek
with
> > adequate flow (on May 24) about 1/2 mile south of Golden Oak Springs,
but it
> > is insignificant because of its proximity to the springs.
> >
> > North of Robin Bird Springs, hikers should find running streams
(seasonal, I
> > suspect) north as far as Landers Meadow near Piute Mountain Road).
> >
> > Hiker Sightings: For anyone following the progress of Claudette and
Roger
> > Stevens (Washington), we met them on the road just south of the Zond
Wind Farm
> > on Sunday (5/24). About 20 minutes later, we met Jason and Gary
Williams
> > (Orange Co. CA / Yosemite area). Claudette and Roger mentioned that
they had
> > not seen anyone on the trail since leaving Agua Dulce. I assume Jason
and
> > Roger probably caught up with the Stevens at Golden Oak Springs.
> >
> > We also met the Russian family of five just a few minutes south of
Golden Oak
> > Springs.
> >
> > Everyone was doing great; looking healty and happy.
> >
> > Happy hiking,
> > Charlie Jones
> > San Diego
> > * From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List | For info
http://www.hack.net/lists *

> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 14:18:28 -0700
> > From: Dave Gomberg <gomberg@wcf.com>
> > Subject: [pct-l] High Sierra Snow (sob)
> >
> > According to the Yosemite back country permit guys, the High Sierra got
TWO
> > FEET of snow last night.  They predict a long snowy spring/summer.
Take
> > your ice axe!
> >
> > - --
> > Dave Gomberg    mailto:gomberg@wcf.com
> > FormMaestro  <http://www.wcf.com>
> > - -----------------------------------------------------------------
> > * From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List | For info
http://www.hack.net/lists *

> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 17:51:51 -0600
> > From: Earl Needham <kd5xb@amsat.org>
> > Subject: RE: [pct-l] Auga Dulce box drop
> >
> >         I did a quick internet search for Ray Canyon Market, Richard
Canyon

http://http://switchboard.mapquest.com/sb/mqcustomconnect?iconid=3D11&var61=

> > =3Dww

w3.switchboard.com&var44=3DName&var41=3D1&MEM=3D1&lat=3D344937&lng=3D-118326
=
> > 0&var1=3DCan

yon+Market&var5=3D33301+Agua+Dulce+Canyon+Rd&var7=3DAgua+Dulce&var8=3DCA&var
=
> > 6=3D9135
> > 0-4640&var2=3D(805)268-8164&var34=3D|=EA=EF
> >
> >         Earl
> >
> > Canyon Market 33301 Agua Dulce Canyon Rd, Agua Dulce, CA 91350-4640
> > Phone: (805)268-8164 <Picture: Map> <Picture: Directions to>

My