[pct-l] Section E & F conditions

     Thanks to Charcholla for the trail conditions in section F1 thru F6.
     I will be hiking that section the first week of July.  Will my Ford
     Ranger make it past that bolder?

     I just completed a 3 day PCT backpacking trip this past sat-mon., on
     sections E8 thru E10.  I went up and back - 46 miles round trip and
     didn't see one thru hiker.  I also met 4 other PCT sectional hikers,
     after my hike Monday, at the Lake Hughes store, and they just finished
     hiking from Agua Dulce to almost where I started, and they didn't see
     any thru hikers either.

     I had a great trip.  It was sunny and cool except Monday (very foggy
     and heavy mist all day).  It was still very green and lots of pretty
     flowers, like Ca. orange poppies (huge fields of them in section E10)
     and Chinese houses (a flower lover I met there on trail said she has
     been coming to see the flowers here for 35 years and this is the first
     time she ever saw the Chinese houses.).  Believe it or not these
     flowers are on the Tejon ranch but during flower season they let
     people on their land to check out the flowers.

     I saw a huge beautiful bobcat on trail in front of me and huge bear
     prints on trail (actually within 1 mile of Bear campground :-) ).  I
     also saw deer prints but no deer and lots of rattlesnakes on trail.  I
     almost got bit because I was looking at beautiful scenery and almost
     stepped on a 5 footer.  Lucking he warn me in time before we both
     became attached.  I usually have to roll rocks at them about a dozen
     times (mainly because I miss them most of the time) and take my
     walking stick to move them off trail.

     Talking about walking sticks - I used two of those ski looking poles
     (trekking poles from REI) for the first time for my entire hike. They
     worked great - took alot of pressure off my knees and my legs didn't
     get as tired.

     The water in sections E8 thru E10 was scarce except by Pine Canyon
     road - the pond was a lake and good size stream running near road but
     that was the only water I could find.  The hikers I met that hiked
     from Agua Dulce to Lake Hughes said they saw lots water and alot of
     streams were running.  I saw notes left by Jack from Three Points left
     on trail near pond offering water, food etc. to any thru hikers and
     the guy who lives on Highway 38 were PCT crosses had a sign on his
     fence offering water and shade.  If I was a thru hiker I would stop
     there because there is no water for awhile unless you want to climb
     down the ladders on Ca. aqueduct (which might be dangereous) where PCT
     crosses on a road bridge.

     I hope this info. helps fellow PCT hikers. - Matthew
     (MJankowicz@Logiocn.com)