[pct-l] What science says about El Nino

From:	SMTP%"owner-nova-online@franz.wgbh.org" 26-JAN-1998 16:51:38.53
To:	OPATJ
CC:
Subj:	NOVA Online Presents "Tracking El Nino"

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 20:16:15 -0500
From: owner-nova-online@franz.wgbh.org (NOVA Online)
Subject: NOVA Online Presents "Tracking El Nino"
Sender: owner-nova-online@franz.wgbh.org

Presenting a new NOVA/PBS Online Adventure,
"Tracking El Nino"
http://www.pbs.org/nova/elnino/
----------------------------------
In the fall of 1982, no one knew that a full-blown El Nino -- a
massive heat build-up in the Pacific ocean -- had been underway
since spring. No one knew that within a few months, an appalling
season of storms and bad weather would cost 2,000 people their lives.
No one, therefore, could prepare. Fifteen billion dollars later the
El Nino of 1982 was recognized as the weather event of the century.
Until, that is, the El Nino of 1997 came along...Follow this
adventure as it is happening.

    "Dispatches"
    Follow our reporter in the field on a daily basis as he journeys
    into the heart of El Nino, and hear directly from the experts who
    are struggling to understand this mysterious weather phenomenon.

    "Anatomy of El Nino"
    The definitive -- and understandable -- explanation of what El Nino
    really is, and how its effects are carried around the globe.

    "El Nino Now"
    Over the next four weeks, our reporter will report back about the
    effects of El Nino -- from inside a storm, along the coast of Peru,
    high in the jetstream, on the Galapagos Islands, and aboard a ship
    that tracks El Nino in real-time.

    "El Nino's Reach"
    El Nino reaches around the globe to change weather and create havoc
    in unexpected ways. In fact, it has done so for millennia, and has
    even left its mark on living creatures.

    Plus email to our reporter and scientists, and other resources.

                           * * * * * * * *

Thank you for visiting NOVA Online. We welcome your questions, comments,
and feedback, sent either to NOVA@wgbh.org, or from our Feedback page
at:

        http://www.pbs.org/nova/postnovafeedback.html

Please note that the mailing address for the NOVA Online list changed
on January 23, 1998. The new address is listed below. You are receiving
this e-mail because you elected to subscribe to the NOVA Online mailing
list. To unsubscribe, visit http://www.pbs.org/nova/postnovamailing.html
or send e-mail to majordomo@franz.wgbh.org and on a line by itself in
the message, type:   unsubscribe nova-online