[pct-l] re: westwind

John Koch wrote:
how did you like the westwind? i have one, but haven't really used it.

I liked the ability to completely close-off all the mesh vents (the door and
foot) in foul weather. Without a vestibule, it was a necessity to zip-up the
door. I really disliked the door and mosquito net being on the floor when
open, and not tied-off to the side like some newer tents. This was more of a
sore spot when the door was wet from rain, or was collecting mud and dirt.
The waterproof door and foot area readily collect condensation when
zipped-up (although I'd think it wouldn't be an issue with the later
versions with vestibules). I'm disappointed that TNF tents and the bulk of
new tents lack a true bathtub-style floor.

On my '82 thru-hike, I had a prototype 1.5 person wedge-shaped half dome
tent with a side entrance and large vestibule/veranda to keep gear under. It
was a joy to prepare breakfast just outside its door, while in the warm
confines of my sleeping bag. I imagine many people have found that preparing
a meal from the narrow door of tunnel-type tent to be a hassle, especially
while one's partner is in the tent as well. I'd like to find a lightweight
simple half dome for this reason. If TNF wasn't so concerned about cosmetics,
 their short-lived dual door Katydid (sp?) could have been a best seller
with a little reengineering.