[pct-l] Re: Bear canisters

Greetings!

I usually find a spot 15 or more feet away from my tent that is
protected by a rock ledge or some trees/shrubs and put the cannisters
there. I've read a couple accounts of bears swatting them about, but not
rolling them away to work on later. It appears that, even if the bear
can smell the food inside, s/he can't get in and eventually lose
interest. Your bear cannister might get a few scratches (ample fuel for
good campfire stories) but otherwise won't be worse for the wear. The
manufacture suggests (and also supplies with the initial purchase) using
plastic liner bags to reduce attractive food smell.

Regards,

Rebecca Kuga
San Rafael, CA