[pct-l] Bear Alert

This bear has PCT plans of it's own this year.

This past few days we had more adventure than we bargained for while on a PCT
trail project at  Owens-Jenkins Saddle on map G-2.  A good sized, prosperous
looking, resident black bear at Joshua Tree Spring ransacked our camp several
times and destroyed or damaged 3 tents and other gear. This included biting 2.5
gal plastic water jugs that had been packed in for us.  This was probably from
frustration because we had bear bagged as much food as we could.  He was very
persistent and  would enter camp repeatedly even when we were there and had to
be chased off but there were times when he asserted himself.  He was a real
nuisance.  Ate part of a bright red plastic inflatable mattress.  We could tell
'our bear' from the bright red pieces in scat he left behind.  At any rate we
were lucky, it could have been worse.  One of our party found the bear's bed or
resting place a short distance from the spring.  He didn't seem to use it much
since he spent  a lot of his time with us.

Advise you do not camp there or leave gear unattended.  We left a note at the
junction signpost on the PCT.

Despite this our small band of volunteers were able to brush and remove
deadfalls and do some tread work to leave the 9 miles of trail between
Owens-Jenkins Saddle and Spanish Needle Creek. in good shape.

Pete Fish
PCTA Trail Coordinator