Re: [pct-l] Re: Personal safety on the trail

Hmmm.
Since an incident several years ago in which my brother and I were
threatened by drunk teenage males with .22 rifles on an Ozark stream, I've
debated whether or not to carry a firearm. Some times I have, when my
usual caution boiled over into paranoia. Most times, I have not carried
one.
Weight is certainly a consideration; I've carried a .45 in the Wind River
Mountains, and on a second, similar trip to another nearby mountain range,
left it at home because of the weight, whereas my brother took a .38 that
trip.
Here in SW Missouri, where the above incident occurred, I NEVER go
car-camping, fishing, hiking, or backpacking without being armed. Sounds
extreme, doesn't it? I find it distressing that, to give myself a certain
level of security, I feel that I have to carry, and be prepared to use, a
handgun. On the other hand, I now have a three-year old son, recently
adopted, who I nearly always take along, and I'll be damned if I'm going
to stay out of the woods and other natural areas, and not be able to teach
my son about the wonderful, beautiful natural world out there just because
there might be a few drunken jerks out there who get off on terrorizing
others (Whew! what a sentence.).
But what someone said on this list concerning this issue holds true: If
you choose to carry a weapon of any kind, you must be prepared to use it.
Whether it be an ice axe or a handgun, the consequences of using it still
apply. You are obligated to report the incident to local authorities (who
may even temporarily detain you), you may permanently or temporarily lose
possession of whatever weapon you used to defend yourself, you have to
deal with the trauma of having hurt or killed someone, even in defense,
and most certainly your trek will be interrupted. The alternative is
hardly better: potential physical harm or death to yourself if someone
decides you look like easy prey.
When I have carried a handgun, I've carried it openly. There is little
doubt in anyone's mind, when you are seen thus armed, that you have at
least a physical capability to defend yourself. What they think about you
is another matter. I've gotten some questioning looks from National Forest
rangers, but much to my surprise, not a one asked me why I was armed, or
even for a permit. And, I've received those same looks (and worse) from
fellow hikers who may have wondered whether _I_ was the crazy jerk they
feared or just another paranoid hiker ready to defend himself.
I think the best advice is to be aware of your surroundings and the people
in it, and be critical of those who you meet on the trail. By that, I
mean, treat them with the respect you give to anyone you don't know. Be
courteous, but also somewhat lean with the information you provide about
your purposes and plans for being on the trail. Look them in the eyes. Pay
attention to your instincts. Be wary. And, after parting ways, if you
think they may have bad intentions toward you, don't procrastinate and
think that harm surely cannot come your way. Immediately make yourself
ready to defend you and yours with whatever resources you have at hand. A
walking staff, an ice axe, a pocketknife, even a hefty rock in each hand,
in combination with a determined attitude, is much better than meekly
walking up the trail waiting for the worst.
Sorry for the long-winded response. And, PoliteCat, I wish you the best
trip. I'm hoping that the miles wear away your fears and steadily buttress
your confidence and determination.

Craig W. Smith      FAX: (417) 873-7432
Associate Librarian      Phone:    (417) 873-7339
F. W. Olin Library       E-mail:   csmith@lib.drury.edu
Drury College
Springfield, MO 65802

"O Solitude! If I must with thee dwell, let it not be among the jumbled
heaps of murky buildings--Climb with me the steep, Nature's
Observatory..."