[pct-l] water purification and other ?s

I'm planning on thru hiking in 98 and I have a few questions (sorry if
these have been extensively discussed earlier):

1. Is a water filter necessary? I'm hoping that Polar Pure or iodine
tablets will be  sufficient.

2. Water container for the dry stretches. How much water should I be
prepared to carry for the dryest stretches?  I'm considering a 2.5 gallon
water bag, a plastic collapsable container, or something made by MSR that
can supposedly be strapped to the outside of your pack. Any suggestions?

3. Mosquito netting: Instead of bringing a tent, I want to save weight
by using a tarp + mosquito netting. Has anyone used one of those hiker's
mosquito nets or something similar?

4. Any favorite dehydrated food recipes?

Thanks a lot,
Heemun Kwack
hkwack@itsa.ucsf.edu