[pct-l] So-Cal Trail Work Basic Chain Saw Certification Course

The Pacific Crest Trail Association, in coordination with the USFS is
sponsoring a Basic Chain Saw Certification Course for experienced trail
maintenance volunteers. Preference for limited class space will be given to
PCTA members. Membership applications will be available at the class. For
More information contact:

Pete Fish, PCTA Regional Trail Coordinator, 805-658-6540.  Email
102142.3414@compuserve.com

=======================================

Basic Chain Saw Certification Course for volunteers

This training was set up for the safety of our volunteers and to help our
crews  gain acceptance with  government agencies.   On Sat. and Sun., April
19 & 20, 1997 Angeles Forest will conduct a basic chain saw course for
volunteers covering safety, maintenance, and how to buck downed trees and
to fell smaller trees in relatively simple situations not complicated by
hangups and steep slopes.  It will be held at the presently inactive North
Fork Ranger Station (at North Fork Saddle on the PCT, see map  D-12).
Instruction starts at 8:30 am both days.  No fee.

If there is sufficient interest  we may be able to set up a  more advanced
course in the future.

This pleasant facility is now a Volunteer Center and was our home for two
trail projects.  There are four rooms with 2 beds (first comers), flush
toilets and showers, laundry, kitchen with fridge and freezer, microwave,
and car camping outside.  Bring your own food.  Bottled water available for
drinking.

Besides your camping gear bring daypack, sturdy gloves,  water bottles,
sturdy shoes, long pants/long sleeved shirts.  Hardhats will be provided.
Be prepared for warm days and cool nights.

To get there:  (recommend filling with gas at last opportunity.  Also check
your spare tire.  Last week one volunteer had two flats from rock bruises.
If you allow plenty of time and take it slowly you shouldn’t have trouble).

Option 1 - From  I-5, Newhall, and I-14, exit I-14 at Soledad Canyon Road.
Drive east about 7 miles, turn right at Indian Canyon Road 4N37.  This is
where the PCT crosses Soledad Cyn. Road.  Drive south, climbing steeply on
windy dirt/gravel road.  Turn left at intersection with another similar
road @ about 4 miles. Keep going east on winding road to N. Fork Saddle
Station @ about 6.5 miles.

Option 2 - From I-14, east of Acton exit take Angeles Forest Hwy. (Kentucky
Springs - Mill Creek Summit Road).  Climb south about 10 miles to the
summit.  Opposite Mill Creek Summit Fire Station turn west  on winding
paved Forest Road 3N17. Note entrance to County Inmate Camp #16 @ 6mi. and
bear left, continue on mostly dirt (but good) road to Mt. Gleason @ 9 mi.,
Lightening Point @ 10 mi., Messenger Flats Campground @ 11 mi., and finally
N. Fork Station @ approx. 17 miles.  Your home!

Option 3 - From  I-5 and Hwy. 210.  On I-5 take Hwy. 210 exit.  Go  east
then south east , exit at Osborne Ave.  Turn left, go northeast (Osborne
becomes Little Tujunga Canyon Road.  Climb and wind north to Bear Divide
Station.  One quarter mile north of the Station  turn  right or east at
intersection with  Forest Road 3N17 which is signed Magic Mtn., North Fork
Saddle, and Messenger Flats.  Drive east and north east past Magic Mountain
Heliport @ 6 mi., continue (now on dirt road 3N17) to intersection with
Indian Cyn. Road 4N37 ,  continue 2.5 miles to North Fork Ranger Station.

--
Brick Robbins
San Diego, CA