Re: [pct-l] Calories

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Benedict Go wrote:

> the trail, you'll find what you crave.  If you wake up in the middle of
> the night hungry, you may not be eating enough.

While hiking north to south in 1992 my paramour and I met many of the
northbound thruhikers near Sierra City.  Quantity of food was a problem for
most, but I remember one fellow in particular.  He was about 5'11" or so and
probably 150 pounds by that point.  He was independently wealthy and had a
local backpacking store mail his food to him.  He had a haunted look about
him, partly because he seemed to be in the throes of love for one of the
other thru hikers, a love that wasn't returned, and partly because he
couldn't get enough to eat.  He said he was carrying four pounds a day of
food, and still was hungry much of the time.

Those of you that have hiked for more than a couple months in a row have you
had this problem?  As mentioned in an earlier post, my experience was not
enough food/calories, the less fun the trip was.  Just curious...

Jeffrey Olson
Seattle, Washington