[pct-l] Mt. Baden Powell Bypass

There are three options once you get to Vincent Gap which is where the BP trail starts and where the PCT crosses Rt 2 just west of Wrightwood.  There is a map just on over the fence on the NorthWest corner of the pavement
  1.  Stay on the PCT - best views, most gain, same distance as the road walk. 11miles
  2.  Road walk to Islip Saddle  - almost same milage as PCT just less gain and poor views - 10 miles
  3.  At the sign at VG do the desert divide --- drop down to Rock Camp and then take the Rock Camp Trail back up to Islip Saddle.  Lots of drop and then gain but nice grade - 17 miles +/-.  Virtually no snow.

  I would recommend 1 if there is no snow and 3 if there is.  The road walk is no fun and the road is still not open and there are violent signs.  Last year the construciton workers were harrassing people.

  We are suppose to get more snow this weekend and then some more next TUE - hard to tell by the end of the month.

  I will P-Mail a Map with the three options.

  Shutterbugg----- No helicopter please

Marge Prothman <marge@prothman.org> wrote:
  I would like to hear from those 2005 hikers who chose to by pass Mt. Baden
Powell due to the snow levels last year. Where did you leave the PCT and
where did you come back on, possibly the elevations would help, as well as
the approximate mileage for the reroute. We are doing this section after
the Kickoff and the way the snow is coming down in the higher elevations of
Southern Calif .(and not just here in Idaho) I would like to have an
alternate plan. I am a little confused with the Angles Hiway #2, is some of
it washed out? Or what makes it unsafe to hike on, is there possible debris
coming from up above? Can this hiway be walked entirely between points to
bypass the elevations of Baden Powell? I remember last year, Marion the
Llamalady posted something about a trail detour at lower elevations and
about a different set of maps. Also Kevin Corcoran posted something. So
anything anyone knows from last years hiking will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Marge (the old gal)