[pct-l] Mt. Baden Powell Bypass

Hi Marge,
My post last year recommended leaving the trail at Vincent Gap (VG),
on either the Manzanita Trail heading down toward the desert, or if
the MT is still buried, take the road down (8W04) which roughly
parallels it, to South Fork CG. From there you'd take the South Fork
Trail (marked 9W02 on Map D6) back up to the PCT at Islip Saddle
(IS).  If you take the road (8W04), take it a few miles after it
turns to pavement, and look for the sign to S Fk CG (left).
In 2005 many thrus said that Mt Williamson wasn't very achievable,
and so they ended up staying on the Angeles Crest Hwy from Islip
Saddle to Three Points.
Some hikers who took the Manzanita Trail in 05 said the South Fk
Trail wasn't marked out of South Fork CG, but it's the trail that
goes straight south, up into the canyon. No other trail does so.
The highway did collapse last yr, and it is still closed between VG
and IS, and those hikers who hiked on the highway between VG and IS
in 2005 complained of harassment from state highway workers, I
remember. That section of the highway is subject to massive
avalanches in the northwestern shutes of Mt B-P.
If the S Fk Trail, for whatever reason, is impassable, another route
could be used but it involves hiking over a pass:   backtracking to S
Fk CG, take the signed trail to Devil's Punchbowl; when nearly to DP,
take the signed turnoff to Burkhardt Trail. Burkhardt ties into the
PCT on Map D7 in the Rattlesnake / Cooper Canyon area. in 05 some
hikers did take this route as well, if I remember right.
If you find Burkhardt Pass impassable, then backtrack to Devil's
Punchbowl and use the phone there to get a ride out, because your
next road access is at Mill Creek Summit (N2) on the Angeles Forest
Hwy, map D9; That point is many miles of unsafe road-walking away.

Apart from walking the highway (and I can't speak for what that might
be like) my best guess is that your optimal route would be to leave
the PCT at Vincent Gap on the Manzanita Tr to S Fk CG; ascend the
South Fork Trail to Hwy 2 at Islip Saddle; then walk the Angeles
Crest highway to Eagle's Roost Picnic Area, where the PCT crosses
(Mile 391.9, map D7) and regain it there down into Rattlesnake Cyn.

Kevin