[pct-l] alcohol fuel

Mike,

My experience is with shipping butane canisters which have pretty much the
same restrictions as denatured alcohol. The requirement is that they be
shipped surface mail which can be quite slow. I missed a drop because it
took over a month for my surface mail package to arrive. Send your food
priority mail and if you decide to ship fuel, send it in a separate surface
mail package.

I think getting alcohol along the way would be easier than mailing it.
Remember to check the hiker boxes for the remnants of those monster jugs
that someone else left behind.

Frank

list and I won't have access to my PCT guides and Yogi's book until right
before I leave for the hike...

>   do most folks include alcohol fuel in their resupply boxes (it appears
to be legal to do so in the small quantities that a solo hiker would use,
per this extremely useful compilation of USPS regs on shipping flammables)
http://www.gottawalk.com/shipping_fuel.htm

>   Anybody have experience/problems with mailing alcohol?  Or do folks
generally buy it along the way?  If so, since denatured alcohol comes in
those monster jugs, what do you do with the rest?  HEET comes in smaller
bottles but has lower BTU content, and I wonder how easy it is to come by
along the trail?

>   I live in CA so shipping costs don't seem like they'd be prohibitive if
I went with the mail option, and this idea seems workable provided the
bottle doesn't leak all over my carefully dried foods :)