[pct-l] Re: New Revolutionary Gear Concepts Plus Eliminating the Sleeping Bag

I can admit, I've been pondering this question as well. A half-bag that
either zippered or velcroed to a jacket is my going thought. Here're the
tricks I'm thinking about using:
1. Use two down jackets, one worn over the other, one thicker than the
other. One coldest nights, both are used. Warm nights, the thin one
used, and on slightly cold nights, the thick one used. This adds
versatility (because you can choose the warmth of your system each
night), safety (because if one jacket gets wet, you may still have the
other other), and the ability to maybe hike in the thinner jacket.
2. Make them have warm down hoods with draw cords.
3. Have drawcords around the cuffs and shoulders. On the very coldest
nights, cinch them down and pull them in around your neck, like a draft
collar on a sleeping bag. Or, you could even stuff them up in the hoods
to make your head warmer.

This could almost work if coupled with a warm balaclava. I think. I need
to get a higher paying job before I can do this though...that's the big
caveat for me.

-patch