[pct-l] Re: New Revolutionary Gear Concepts Plus Eliminating the Sleeping Bag

Yes, I always like to hear of  backpackers thinking outside of the box.  Or
should I say outside of their  sleeping bags.  Very good.

Speaking of sleeping bags, I am in  a big to-do about eliminating the
sleeping bag from my gear list.  I  don't know if I will do it, but the sleeping bag
bugs me from  a 3-season gear hiking standpoint.

I know the mummy is warm and we are  in our bags for longs times too.  I just
want something more  versatile.  I am thinking of going to the down
jacket/pants concept.   Then using a light silk bag liner as an overbag.  This concept
is not  as warm as a mummy bag I have been told and it is probably a little  h
eavier too.

I like the idea of walking around  late in the day around camp and warming up
my sleeping system.  Of course,  there is the advantage of having a super
warm clothing system too.  Under  my super light rain suit, I cannot see how I
would be cold on the trial in  a blowing cold wet gale wind.  Think San Felipe
Hills in Section A or the  lateral trail over to the top of Mt. Whitney at
14,000 feet.

For 4-season camping, you just add  a very light down bag (14-20 ounces) over
this system and you are fine.  No  problem -- down layering.  I would use
Epic fabric for the outer shell for  everything -- clothes and bags.

Anyway, I am still kicking this  idea around.  I want more out my sleeping
system than a mummy bag  offers.  What to do?  What to do?

Your hiking buddy,  Switchback
Trail Corridor Saunterer & Camp  Heater