From: <Hiker97@aol.com>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Cc: <laura629@hotmail.com>; <carolbruno@cox.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 3:40 AM
Subject: [pct-l] Retired Backpackers

There are a lot of retired folks  out there on the trail.  Here is a retired
hiker Q&A primer  on how to understand their perspective and how to relate
them.

Question: How many days in a week?
Answer: 6 Saturdays, 1 Sunday
 Ken's answer:   Everyday is Saturday.
Question: When is bedtime?
Answer: Three hours after I fall asleep  on the couch.
   Ken's answer:   As soon as I find the first flat place after dusk.
Question: How many retired backpackers are needed to change a  light bulb?
Answer: Only one, but it might take all day.
   Ken's answer:   As soon as I get back home from the trail, but it may
take more than one day after I get home.
Question: What's  the biggest gripe of retired hikers?
Answer: There is not enough time to get  all the expedition planning done
and
campaigning on the trail.
   Ken's answer:   You nailed that one!
Question:  Why don't retired hikers mind being called Seniors?
Answer: The term comes  with a 10% percent discount.
   Ken's answer:   I've given up on not being called a senior. I really
don't feel like a senior. But those discounts are nice.
Question: Among seasoned hikers what is  considered formal attire?
Answer: Tied shoes.
  Ken's answer:    Formal attire? whats that?
Question: Why do retired  hikers count pennies?
Answer: They are the only ones who have the time  (notice younger hikers do
this too).
  Ken's answer:    Because pennies are the coins I find most frequently
along the trail. See our ADT journal
Question: What is the common term for  someone who enjoys work and refuses
retire?
Answer:  NUTS!
Ken's answer:  To young to understand.
Question: Why are retired hikers so slow to clean out the garage,  attic, or
basement?
Answer: They know that as soon as they do, one  of their adult kids will
want
to store stuff there.
 Ken's answer:    Yes, and it takes forever for the kids to get their stuff
out of my garage so
 I can store my hiking gear there.
Question: What  do retired hikers call a long lunch?
Answer: Normal.
 Ken's answer:     Retired hikers - I don't know any retired hikers. I think
you mean senior hikers.
Question: What  is the best way to describe retirement?
Answers: The never ending coffee  break.
  Ken's answer:    Or never ending hiking with plenty of coffee breaks.
Question: What's the biggest advantage of going back to school as  a retired
hiker?
Answer: If you cut classes, no one calls your  parents.
Question: Why does a retired hiker often say he doesn't miss  work, but
misses the people he used to work with?
Answer: He is too  polite to tell the whole truth.

Your hiking buddy,  Switchback
Helpful Seasoned Hiker & Camp  Bingo Player