[pct-l] Was: Looking for Photos - Now: Create the ultimate PCT website

I carry a GPS when I hike and I've encountered varying mileage between
the data book and what I read off my GPS. I think the reason for this is
that I probably don't step the exact line rolled when the mileage data
was recorded. I believe that if I step a half foot to one side or the
other of that original line, my mileage truly would vary. In any case,
synchronizing GPS waypoints and mileage to the data book would be
problematic at best.

Also, those mapping programs are notorious for mis-calculating mileage.

I think the data book is the best source for "average" mileage.

Long/Lat coordinates, however are a great idea to include in a map based
interface! Long/Lat coordinates are easy to program into a GPS in the
field and then the GPS can be made to "go to" that coordinate.

I think someone's already posted a web site that had the entire PCT
waypoints! If the slippery slope of my memory serves me well, I believe
it was programmed into one of the mapping software programs and the raw
data can be downloaded...  Anyone remember where that is?

Yeah, I can imagine a site with all this info! Click on a spot on the
trail and find out the mileage (NOBO & SOBO), section, photos,
elevation, Long/Lat/UTM coordinates, nearest water source, nearest
resupply, hot link to weather...even interesting trivia about that
location! Click two points and find out the distance between them, the
elevation gain/loss, print a map from the first point to the second
(section hikers like me would LOVE that!) maybe even click on two points
and get a photo of the second point viewed from the first!

A web site like that would soon become the most visited by all PCT
hikers! Include links to all the other PCT sites (PCTA.org, AsABat's
water page, trail journals, gear makers, gear testers, etc.). Add a
thru-hiker progress log that thru-hikers can post their locations/dates.
Add a message board for thru-hikers to communicate with those of us who
follow their progress. Web cam links to places close or on the PCT (PS
Tram and the Idyllwild "robocam" come to mind). My DeLome map software
creates 3D maps! SEE that climb you're facing!

This could be BIG. Now if only someone who knows how to do this steps up
and gets this going...

Michael Saenz ,  Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE          MVE    Institutional         MVE    S t u d i o
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m