[pct-l] Esbit Stoves

I've used one of the original folding Esbit stoves for years. A good
windscreen is absolutely essential for this stove. Don't leave home without
it - or be prepared to construct same each time you need the stove. I had to
replace my old Esbit stove this year as it finally rusted up too badly. I
bought another standard folding model plus one of the new 13 gram titanium
models from BackpackingLite. - see
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/titanium-esbit-wing-stove.html

LIKES:
1. Weight
2. Tiny footprint fits inside my cup
3. Fuel requires direct flame application in order to ignite. No spill or
explosion hazards.
4. Minimal packaging to carry out - no bottles or cannisters

DISLIKES:
1. Tablets can be slow to light in a wind until you learn to use the
windscreen properly.
2. Got to take your gloves off to light them.
3. Not a good choice for winter camping due to lower heat output

SUPPLY:
I just put the fuel tablets in a ziplock or other odor-proof bag and added
them to my supply boxes. No declaration; no nothing. I never unwrap the
tablets until they are needed because of the odor potential.

At only half an ounce each, you can easily carry a huge supply in your pack
if need be. I only use half a tablet per day to heat water for my dinner. If
there are two of us, I'll need one tablet per heated meal. I allow one spare
tablet for every 4 days I'm on the trail, just in case; 1 per 3 days if
there are two of us.

I carry one Esbit tablet as part of my sealed, emergency fire starter kit,
no matter what type of stove I carry.

Wandering Bob