[pct-l] Light-weight full-length crampons and cheap sledge

I'm not carrying traction devices or instep crampons.  I prefer proper
full-length crampons.  I've found that my new Grivel "Air Tech light"
crampons work very nicely on my Five Ten Insight shoes.  They weigh 715 g (1
lb. 9.2 oz.) with the antibott devices and extra mid-sole straps installed.
The Grivels are on sale right now at <www.backcountrygear.com> for $121.60.

If you're concerned about extra weight in the Sierra snows, you can
transform your backpack into a very cheap sledge:
--- Cut holes around the outside of a flat kid's slider. (I actually burned
the holes with an old soldering iron.)  Mine is a Canadian model, called
"Wacky Carpet model 3020."  It's 91 cm (36 inches) long and weighs 390 g
(almost 14 oz.).  It cost me $2.99.
--- Tie the slider on the outside of your backpack (away from the shoulder
straps).
--- Toss your backpack down on the snow, shoulder straps up, attach a cord
and haul it as a sledge.
--- When you get to a tricky spot, like a steep downhill, just mount the
pack on your back again.

Trail Name: Doodad
Pacific Crest Trail Northbound 2006
Amateur Radio N7RR Tracking: