[pct-l] Light-weight full-length crampons and cheap sledge

Hey, Doodad and future thrus!

Our thoughts from Mountain Education on this subject:

1.  Instep crampons - great on ice as long as you're balanced on your
instep.  Limited control on traverses and when you are on the ball or heel  of your
foot.  We do not recommend the use of these for the Crest or Muir  when
carrying a pack of significant weight up high. Crampons mounted on the ball  of the
foot without heel straps may slip off on ascents.  This style does  not have
heel points, so is insufficiently safe on changeable descents. Our
recommendation is to carry 10-point crampons.  12-point versions can cause  severe injury
if you're not closely focused on your foot placement (front points  can
damage tendons of the opposite foot).

2.  Sledge idea -- once again, great on the flat, but impractical on
traverses, in the trees, and forget the downhill, unless you want to lower it as  we
do with our rigid 4' and 7' sleds.

3.  Sleds - If you're sick of head plant falls in the snow from  top-heavy
packs, consider a sled.  With a rudder and a brake, we have  successfully skied
the Crest from New Army to Yosemite and the Red Line from  Paiute Pass to
Trail Crest.  See them at _www.kifaru.net_ (http://www.kifaru.net)  .

Mtnned
Mountain Education