[pct-l] RE: pct-l Digest, Vol 35, Issue 23

I carry an MP3 player.
Last hike along the Desert Divide, I was able to tune into an NPR
station out of Palm Springs and listen to a really interesting story
about illegal immigration across the border around Campo! It was nice to
listen to that while hiking. Sometimes I'll listen to classical music
while hiking too.
Then at night, I listen to some music before falling asleep.

Sure, the whole "sounds of nature" thing is nice. I sometimes hike or
hang at camp listening to music, and sometimes I'm listening to the wind
and birds.
It's nice to have options.

In "Walk", there was a scene where someone was listening to "books on
tape". I've called hiking "mind floss" before. But extended periods of
time with nothing but my thoughts in my head can eventually get tedious.
Call it "over flossing".

Also, when I have some tune running over and over in my head, an MP3
player is just the trick to kick out an annoying loops of "99 bottle of
beer on the wall"!

I carry an iRiver iFP-899. 1 gig, tiny & lightweight with an FM tuner.

Michael Saenz ,  Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE          MVE    Institutional         MVE    S t u d i o
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m