[pct-l] Blueut Stoves History

http://spiritburner.com/camping_gaz_blueut.htm<http://spiritburner.com/camping_gaz_blueut.htm> Blueut  Stove first came out in 1956. This french stove actually did quite well on high mountain climbs as the higher in got, the better it worked with less pressure than at sea level. They did have their share of " Blowups" acct. wind screen too close and over heated it's canister ( which can still be a problem today!!!!) and also the little rubber sealer leaking and and making a fire ball. All stoves have a few cons. David Green used this stove in 1977 which worked well on warmer days. If it froze, your needed to sleep with the canister in your sleeping bag. Today , they beat this somewhat by blending in Propane which does much much in cold temps than Butane.  He got a small piece of dirt which plugged up the small orifice  and had to use mine for a few days. I watched John Mills try to heat water on a cold morning in 77 with his blueut ( or Damm It!) stove with on a 1/3 full canister and you could warm the water faster in your hands than his stove was does.  All and all it was a care free stove, but today you cannot get canisters for these older model and USA does not allow these canister with these type of self sealing valve to be shipped. ( I found 5 canisters in a small town Hardware store which I bought up to use in one of my 1950's coleman lanterns made for these.) HOWEVER, there are adapters now being made  that allow you to use the newer style canisters by Hank Roberts as their older stoves had the same self sealing valve. Hank Roberts was a great little stove with a lower center of gravity and folded into a small clam like shell.........