[pct-l] Re: training at elevation

Sarah, my foggy old brain does not recall exactly what post I was
responding to several days ago when I said "live high, train low,"
but I think it had more to do with training than acclimatizing.  At
any rate, my somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment has to do with long
range fitness training, not what you do a week or so before a high
altitude endeavor.  The idea is that sleeping and/or living at high
elevation increases athletic endurance by forcing your body to create
more red blood cells which increases your endurance.  My
understanding is that actually training at high elevation is counter-
productive because the lack of oxygen does not allow the athlete to
train with as much intensity as is possible at sea level.

Nike experimented with this method in something called the Oregon
Project.  Nike recruited Alberto Salazar, one of our greatest
marathoners, to coach a team of six marathon runners in Portland.
The runners lived in a sealed house in NW Portland.  The house was
equipped with a gizmo that reduced the oxygen level to simulate high
altitude.  The athletes trained, however, in Portland at low
elevation and raced in marathons generally at low elevation. So they
were not acclimating for high elevation effort, but rather training
for maximum fitness.

You can read an old article about the project here:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.08/nike.html

I saw a couple of these athletes training in Forest Park not far from
where they lived 2-3 years ago.  It was fun to watch them run so
effortlessly and with such a light touch on the ground  They would
sail past me as I huffed an puffed my way up the first few miles of
Leif Ericksen Drive.  I would swivel my head and say "What was that?"
I don't know what has become of the Project.  Some of the athletes
said that the training improved their times, but the Project hasn't
produced any world beaters yet.  A project athlete named Dan Browne
finished the 2004 Olympic Marathon in 65th place at 2:17.

At any rate, I have also read that high elevation mountaineers say
that acclimation goes quicker if you are putting out effort at high
elevation.  I don't know if this arises from experience or if someone
has done studies on the issue, but that would be a different issue
from how to use high elevation to gain maximum fitness, or more
specifically, to increase your red cell count.

Wayne Kraft