[pct-l] TRAIL ADDICTION

JIM MC CAIN WROTE......."I don't see how anyone can enjoy the JMT if they
don't take the time to actually see what they are walking through.
What's your hurry?"

Jim, I fully understand your thinking and can't really blame you for feeling
that way.  At one time, I might have felt the same way.
I have been backpacking for about 30 years, primarily with the Boy Scouts of
America as a high adventure leader and also with friends and my wife.  The
treks are usually 3-5 day hikes in the Grand Canyon for 5 - 7 day hikes in
the High Sierras, Yosemite, Whitney, etc.  We usually do 10 to 12 miles a
day with periodic rest stops and lots of flower smelling along the way and a
good time at the camp site.    Believe me,  I know what you are talking
about.
I did my first JMT through hike with the boy scouts in 1996 in twenty one
days with a 75+ pound pack.   Something happened on that trek and I have
never been the same since then.............Go to  "DEEMS"  March 7,  19:36
post for a rundown of that trek.
The JMT became a challenge and the challenge turned into an obsession from
which I have not been able to break free.  The challenge is a sub 5 day
unsupported time of the JMT.  I got it down to 5 days 10 hours in 2003  and
5 days 7 hours 45 minutes in 2004.  On those occasions,  I went from Mt.
Whitney to Wood Creek (46 miles) the first day.  On my 2005 attempt, my plan
was to go over Forester Pass, Glen Pass & Pinchot Pass the first day.  A
forest fire, however, on the Sawmill Pass Trail forced me to stop at Wood
Creek overnight and reassess the fire damage in the morning.  Unfortunately,
that caused an 8 hour delay and a record time was no longer possible.  So I
decided to continue at a more leisure pace and fortunately that allowed me
to meet "Deems" at Lake Wanda which in retrospect is more rewarding to me
than the record.
As far as enjoying the JMT hiking 40 miles a day VS 10 miles a day,  I have
to say, "It is different."  But I can't say one way is more rewarding than
the other.  The rewards are different, but equally satisfying.  At the slow
pace you are less fatigued and less stressed but on the fast pace  the
panoramic scenery is greatly enhanced.  I may see 4 times as much terrain
and cross 2 or 3 passes and see a dozen lakes in one day.  I glance at the
trail but my eyes are forever scanning the spectacular landscape.
But at 65 years of age, this may very well have been my  last JMT marathon.
Oh,  I will still hike the JMT but perhaps at a slower pace and maybe we
will meet on the JMT someday and smell the flowers together.

        Until then HAPPY TRAILS
        JMT Reinhold
        Your hopelessly JMT addicted trail companion