[pct-l] tarp/poncho

Mouse,

>> Just wondering any of you have used any of the tarp/ponchos out there...
I know you make one Ron...

Just would like to get some feedback on them.  I was thinking about buying
one and adding some mosquito netting... <<

My personal feeling is that poncho/tarps are for people who don't mind a bit
of misery in their lives. Maybe we lack a comfort gene or are enamored with
dreams of the macho outdoorsman fighting the ravages of nature with the
scantest of protection.

While the Gatewood Cape I make is certainly different, it'll be up to time
and users to determine if it's better than the traditional poncho/tarp.

The idea of adding mosquito netting is certainly an enticing one and one
which I've toyed with from time to time. Ultimately though, the addition of
netting simply confuses the issue.

The vast majority of the time when we camp you need either no protection,
bug protection or rain protection. Seldom do you need both bug and rain
protection simultaneously. Solid walls don't make good bug protection as
they close us off from the visual environment, trap heat and inhibit cooling
breezes. Mesh obviously doesn't make for good rain protection.

On a trail the PCT bug protection is needed more in the Sierra and Oregon
sections of the trail. Rain protection should be available always though
it's used mostly in the northern sections. A good poncho/tarp may be
adequate for California and Oregon then switched out for a larger tarp or
tarp/tent, or solo tent for Washington.

Fortunately adequate bug protection that will allow for a restful night is
pretty light. It's something that could be kept in a bounce box to be
carried when needed.

Fallingwater

Thanks,

Ron Moak