[pct-l] GPS and on-snow adventuring

Chuckie!

Still so much to say!  The most important skills in mountaineering you  can
have are ones you must develop.  Awareness of your surroundings,  where you are
in them, and wisdom to make safe, patient decisions.

IMHO a GPS unit is only good for communicating your position to  rescuers.  I
don't want to be so engrossed in a high-tech gadget that I  miss out on
anything wilderness happening around me.  Don't bother trying  to figure out where
the trail is, exactly.  Only know that  you're near enough to it and going in
the right direction.  Soak up all the  wilderness has to offer you while
you're there on such a long, life-changing  trip.  Studying a full-sized topo map
the night before each day can  make you more aware of the terrain you're going
to travel through than any  battery and temperature dependent GPS.

So, get out onto the great white in the Range of Light and practice!
Everything changes with a little snow....

Mtnned