[pct-l] A Wake-Up Call

This is good advise, Last year I did half my training in snow, one in a snow storm, and it does help when you crossing lots of snowfields on a thru hike. I think there was about 2+ solid miles of snow before Forrester Pass last year at the end of June.

p.s. - don't leave kennedy meadows without sun glasses!
-Mountain Goat-

Mtnned at aol.com      Mtnned at aol.com
     Sun Mar  5 03:17:15 CST 2006
---------------------------------

Class of 2006:

Just thought I'd ask if all of you are aware of the challenges you'll be
facing negotiating the snow pack and passes once you're in the High  Sierra.

I hope every one of you have spent at least 4 days to a week cranking out  as
many miles as you can in the snow, under intense sun or nasty, blowing,
whiteout cold, to test yourselves and your gear.  It's one thing to  hike a
summer, dry trail toward a pass and top it over a field of snow, maybe  try to
glissade down the backside, and another to live in it for days on  end.

 You're pretty sure you can do the miles needed on dry trail, but what  about
when you can't see it? ....