[pct-l] Where to start?

Mattie,

We see many hikers who start later in May and get here (Agua Dulce) in June.  Lot's of teachers and students are in that group.  It's doable.  May (and June) can be quite variable in terms of temperatures.  So Cal is famous for it's "June Gloom" which starts in May and goes through early July, where we have early morning fogs, clearing in late afternoon.  Many hikers indicate they didn't see LA and the valleys below, because as they cross the mountain tops, they appear to be floating on an ocean of fog. It's true, the further inland you are, the less coastal influence you'll experience, and the fog and cooler temps don't always help the low-lying desert regions.  The real (and more dependable) heat doesn't crank up typically until after the 4th of July.  I would not classify your intended start date as a reason to skip So. Cal.

We had two hikers through here last year -- two American teachers working in the Czech Republic (who weren't trying to make Canada) as late as July 20, who had a late June start date.  They were have a marvelous time, and were certainly not defeated by the weather.

www.weather.com has the ability to show you historical average temps; if you're really concerned about it, I'd advise checking there.

L-Rod