[pct-l] Where to start?

Hello,

This is my first post to the list and I am so excited to have advice right
at my fingertips.

I am planning to hike the PCT in California and Washington this summer.
However because of work I am not going to be able to start hiking until May
20 at the earliest.  I read in the S.California PCT book that starting at
the Mexican boarder at this late date is inadvisable, but I'm not quite sure
how far north to start so I don't get into too much snow.  Any thoughts?

Also, if I skip S.California, when in the fall would be best to go back and
finish it so I don't get excruciatingly hot temperatures?

Thanks all for the advice!