[pct-l] Ken and Marcia on Trailcast

Great interview of their ADT hike. Maybe I'll have to
reconsider my lack of desire to do the ADT. :)

http://www.trailcast.org/programs/50

A good reflection of theirs is that the first long
trail is the one we like the best. The gold standard
of long distance hiking.

Was thinking that idea is not true for me. My first
long distance hike was the Long Trail (or the AT for a
long thru-hike). I seem to gravitate towards the more
barren, rugged but beeautiful area of above treeline.
The Sierra, the Rockies, the Utah desert. Then I
think, my first BACKPACKING was the  Whites of New
Hampshire.

Smaller, rounded mountains. But above treeline, rugged
and beautiful. Much like the trails I seem to graviate
towards now. Many times the mountains near my home in
Boulder have some resemblance to the Whites. So maybe
there is something about this reflection. The
mountains were knew first our indeed the first love.

My initial backpacking in the Whites was what, in
part, lead me to move to the above treeline peaks and
rugged terrain of the Colorado Rockies.

The first love is the one that always seems to be the
one that is the benchmark for future relationships,
adventures and journeys.

My first trail love  of the Whites certainly affected
how I view future journeys on foot.

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com