[pct-l] fuel cannisters

Ah....I haven't been following this thread.
My bad.

So now I'll add my two cents.

Melissa,

I've been made aware of the MSR/Gigapower incompatibility. I think I was
told of it some years ago.
Anyway, I've been interchanging canisters to whatever happens to be on
the shelf when I'm out buying `em.
Never had any problems.

This last weekend, I debated about going without a stove altogether. I
was trying to go as light as possible and since I was only going to be
out overnight, I figured I could do without a hot meal. Of course, I
decided against this and packed soup at the last minute.

What made me change my mind was that I had a left over Giga can that had
just a wee bit left inside. This can's been tossing around in my gear
for quite a while now as I always packed fresh cans on my trips. I
thought I'd kill this one off.

I think that the problem I had was two-fold: I was trying to boil 50%
more water than usual and the low pressure of the can from it's almost
depleted fuel.

Next time I'm buying cans, if the MSR small size is gone (they usually
are!), I'll grab a Giga can.
I've never seen one of the newer stoves flame up because of a bad fit.
By "newer" I mean since I was about 14 years old (many, many moons ago),
when my old Optimus "mousetrap" blew a nipple and flamed up on me. I was
able to pull the can off before my stove fried, and the flame went out,
but the gas kept spewing out creating a really neat ice sculpture!

Outside the weight, I'm not a huge fan of the pocket rocket. It seems to
have two settings: Turn-it-up-cuz-the-wind-is-gonna-blow-it-out and
"blow torch".
I really prefer to cook with my "Nova" white gas stove. But I rarely
"cook" in the backwoods anymore. I tend to simply boil water now. And
for that, the pocket rocket's "blow torch" setting is just fine!

HYOH, YMMV and DDBB (Don't Drink Bad Beer)

Michael Saenz ,  Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE          MVE    Institutional         MVE    S t u d i o
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m