[pct-l] Hitching

After being told as a child to never hitchhike, it's hard to just stick my
thumb out, or pick up a hitcher. However, I'm not good at asking others to
go out of their way for me either. The few times I've had to hitch I've
struck up a conversation with someone and got a ride. As Yogi says, I like
picking my ride rather than having a car stop and pick me.

Likewise, I'm very hesitant to pick up hitchhikers. On the way to ALDHA-West
this year, I stopped for gas in Bishop. Just a block before the gas station
I had passed a hitchhiker. He (who is on this list) had a cardboard sign
reading "hiker to..." and had a smallish pack, but also had a brand-new
tourist t-shirt. Not being sure, I walked from the station, figuring that
without a car I'd just be a guy curious what he was up to. Starting a
conversation with "where you been?" it turned out we'd met before, and I
gave him a ride all the way to Tahoe. If I hadn't needed gas, I probably
would have driven on by. Trail Magic we agreed.

Oh, I do look to see if a hitcher has a current PCT bandana visible. I
figure that's a sure sign they're on the PCT - or that they mugged a
thruhiker. <g>

AsABat