[pct-l] ADZPCTKO...Yay or Nay? You decide...

I don't wish to respond to this in any negative way, so please take all of my
comments in a positive intention;

rubberchuckie writes:
"however, against 300-400 hikers starting such a long trail in such a
relatively short time span."
There have never been 300 - 400 hikers starting the PCT over any short period
in any year to date that I am aware of.  Last year we had approximately 200+
aspiring hikers attend the KO.  We, nor you, have any control over this.

 " I truly don't believe that such a large number of hikers would start the
PCT in and around the last weekend in April if the Kick-Off didn't exist."

Again, this is in error.  The VAST majority of hikers over the past 30 years
have started in late April.  Check with the southern section history buff;
Bill Jennings, who keeps records.  In fact, this is why we decided to hold the
ADZ then; to coincide with the largest possible number of aspiring hikers.

Each hiker has the personal choice to just keep walking and not attend the
kickoff.  There is absolutely no rule that just because you start in late April
that you MUST attend.  Quite the contrary.  Each hiker chooses his own path,
thus hike your own hike.  You vastly underestimate the free choice that each
hiker has.

Chuckie, I respect your opinion.  We, the organizers of the ADZ, do not try
to please everyone, merely our guests; the aspiring section and thru-hikers who
choose to attend.

However, it may help to base your opinion upon accurate information.

HYOH, YMMV, IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel
ADZPCTKO Coordinator