[pct-l] The KOP

It is that time of the year again. :)

Here's what I wrote about the KOP. Parts of it are
also in Yogi's book as well.

ANNUAL DAY ZERO PCT KICK OFF PARTY

The ADZPCTKOP is an annual event put on by a dedicated
and generous group of volunteers for people about to
start their hike of the PCT. It is generally held in
the last weekend of April. At the KOP, you will get
info about water caches, trail conditions, and have a
great feed-a-thon for the hikers and the good wishes
of people cheering you on. The cost to thru-hikers?
Zero.

It should be noted that if you attend the kick off
party, it will mean that you will be hiking with a
large group of hikers (about thirty hikers in the
trail towns at one time) from Mexico up until the High
Sierra. For those who want somewhat of an ???AT???
experience to ease them into the PCT environment, it
may be good to attend this weekend. If you want more
of a solo experience from the beginning, plan on
starting before or after the KOP. Some people hike
ahead and hitch to the PCT from further up the trail.
Think of the KOP as the PCT???s very low-key version
of Trail Days. More info can be found at:
http://siechert.org/adz/

For whatever it is worth, this info was in the
handouts I had for the PCT workshop at two ALDHA-East
Gatherings.

You can read the full doc at:
http://www.magnanti.com/miscwritings/pct_ws.htm

So, taking a moderate course I guess.

What would I do? Well, I tend to a be soloist
thru-hiker. Suspect I would not go the KOP as a
thru-hiker. Did not go to Trail Days when I did the
AT, for example.   I went to the KOP in 2002 and was
surprised at the amount of people. But, I purposely
did my AT thru-hike early to avoid large amounts of
people as well.

Many people seem to like hiking with a large group of
people. Some people (Scott, Chuckie, myself, others)
prefer a more solo experience.  Nethier option is
better or worse, just different.

Chuckie and I also like hiker gatherings...but not
when thru-hiking.

The key sentence is this line:

"But I feel strongly about this and expect that my
experience during the first month of my hike will be a
better one than if I were to start a month later"

Notice the word "I". Chuckie feels a month later start
woudl be better for *HIM*.

*I* would have started later than I did. It would have
been better for *me*.

What would work best for *you*?

If you want a social atmosphere with some terrific
camraderie, go to the KOP. The volunteers rock. The
poeple are awesome. It is a great time.

If you want a more solo experience, don't go to the
KOP .  The experiene will be quiter, more sublime,
and less AT like.

Another option is to start your hike and hitch back.

All great options for your hike.

Offering different opinions does not necc. mean a
"boycott".  None of these options are better or
worse..but different.

Different is not bad. Experessing other options are
healthy.   The thru-hiking community is a large tent.
Plenty of room for all opinions  At the end of the
day, you have to decide if the KOP is good for *YOUR*
hike.

HYOH.

On the trail. Before the trail. When planning. And how
you choose to be part of the community.

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com