[pct-l] ADZPCTKO...Yay or Nay? You decide...

Hi Meadow Ed,
  I think you mistakenly posted your e-mail to the list when you meant only to respond to Chance. Nonetheless, I feel I need to respond.

  I've explained myself to Yogi and I will to you. I am NOT against the ADZPCTKO; I believe my past contributions speak loudly enough regarding that. I am, however, against 300-400 hikers starting such a long trail in such a relatively short time span. I believe it detracts from the overall wilderness experience that the PCT can offer, that's all.

  I truly don't believe that such a large number of hikers would start the PCT in and around the last weekend in April if the Kick-Off didn't exist. Does this mean the Kick-Off is to blame? Not at all; a hiker is to decide for his or herself whether or not they want to attend the Kick-Off. It's all part of HYOH, even before the hike begins!

  I am well aware of the advantages of attending the Kick-Off, but I also understand that there are advantages of NOT attending it as well.

  Scott didn't persuade me to join his cause (as you incorrectly write); I asked him if I could post his article on my trailjournals site. To me, he succinctly brings up a number of valid points: crowding on the trail and in the first couple of towns en route; while others like him have mentioned the fact that in this day and age of the information highway, the Kick-Off is not as "useful" as it claims to be; such information is already circulating elsewhere and can be found, if nothing else, by putting yourself on the PCT!

  I cannot speak for Scott, as I've never met him, but I'd imagine he realizes that the ADZPCTKO is a very fun event. No one disputes that. I certainly don't and I plan to be involved in the future, when I'm not attempting another long hike.

  But I feel strongly about this and expect that my experience during the first month of my hike will be a better one than if I were to start a month later; it is the wilderness experience that I seek by being out there in the first place. It's funny because when you listen to many of the older PCT hikers reminisce about the 'good old days', when the trail was more unknown and untraveled, it's still very much that way to me...with just a little planning involved.

  Let's not forget that this whole situation presented itself last year when a well-known trail angel brought it up and subsequently "boycotted" the Kick-Off. (Incidentally, I think the word 'boycott' is silly in this context...unfortunately, it's a word I'm well-versed in as an athlete who's represented his country for quite some time). There is no need to start grouping us as the enemy and harboring a grudge. A smear campaign it is not! I cannot begin to tell you the number of e-mails I've received on the matter, in support and otherwise.

  While it's apparent that there is no easy solution to get a bunch of hikers to consider spreading themselves out more, presenting alternatives might just get a few of them to think about what it is they'd like to see (or not see) during their respective hikes. I congratulate Chance for adding as many differing views to the wiki site as he sees fit, even if that wasn't his original plan.

  -Chuckie (FunnyBone!)

ed faubert <edfaubert@yahoo.com> wrote:
  --- Chance Money wrote:
Hi Chance, saw your other post with the wiki....lot of
work went into that...looks nice......BUT i have to
make 1 comment for you to think about.......
You list Scott Parks web site as well as the ADZ
Did you know he has a smear campaign going with us
telling the class of 06 to boycott it???? And Yogi
told me hes got Chuckie V now telling folks to boycott
it as well as perhaps the feller from Gossemer
Gear.......Go check out CVs new journal where he talks
about how clandish hikers can be at places like KMS
etc....Yogi is rightfully a little pissed as well she
should be over CV as am i.

don't repost this please ....i just wanted you to be
aware of this situtation as you have both sites
listed....

Meadow