[pct-l] Bear Attack Strategy (Revised)

In a message dated 2/22/2006 7:33:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
wandering_bob@comcast.net writes:
All activities have some inherent risk, and repetition only increases the
probability that something ill will occur. How many times does a person
drive their car before their first fatal accident? Does that make them a
Darwin candidate?

In '77 I camped with the big wall climbers in Yosemite and had a very
enjoyable discussion of this around a fire one night.  I asked them why they would do
such an inherently dangerous thing.  They replied that they were not doing
anything more dangerous than you or I would be, driving down a two lane highway
at night trying to pass a slow truck.  You poke your head around and gauge
whether the engine in your car is big and powerful enough to get around the truck
before the oncoming traffic passes.  If you gauge it does, you go.  If not
you wait.  Basically, you don't take unneccesary risks beyond the capability of
your equipment and the basis of your knowledge.

I equate all risks that I take to the risk of driving on LA freeways.  I
generally find that almost no activity comes even close!

Greg