[pct-l] Trail jewelery

A few weeks ago the listserv was abuzz with talk of dog tags and
kick-off memorabilia. It got me thinking about what little kind of
memento, like a dog tag, I could wear for each mil so that I could wear
it later in life when I needed inspiration. Essentially, some kind of
trail jewelry that would have strong sentimental value at the end of
the summer.
With all that in mind, allow me to relate a cute little story.
For some strange reason, fortunes from chinese fortune cookies seem to
have a special place in my life. During my first reporting internship
in college, a time during which I was very anxious and unsure of my
skills, I opened a cookie to read "You are one of those people who go
places in life." In my last semester of college, looking for that tough
first job, I got a fortune that read "if you work seriously, you will
succeed." Last summer, as I formulated a plan to travel to Africa and
be a correspondent there (a still unrealized dream) I got a fortune
which said "You will travel to an exotic location." I carry these three
fortunes in my wallet and look at them in times of self-doubt. That,
plus I rarely eat chinese food, can't stand it really, so it's not like
these are three out of thirty fortunes I've had in the last years.
Well, a few weeks ago I was eating at a chinese restaurant in
Anacortes, Wash., the hometown of my hiking partner for the summer.
He's in Boston but I cover the city for the local newspaper. I was
telling a staff photographer about the hike, what my training regimen
has been and the massive amount of planning and food preparation I
still have to do. Well, I cracked open the fortune cookie at the end of
the meal and it read "Now it is best to take things just one step at a
time." A hiking omen? Words of encouragement during the 27th mile of
the day? I think so.
I know that completing the PCT is going to be just as much a mental
challenge as a physical one. Determination and a positive mental
outlook and all that. I'm excited about the hike, the training feels
really good and I'm confident that my friend and I are planning it as
thoroughly as we can while still remaining flexible and ready to adapt
on the trail. But this latest chinese fortune, and my plan for it, is
that little bit of mental push that I think will be very important.
So, I plan to find a small vial, plastic not glass, that I could put
the fortune into so that I can read it through the vial. I think I can
find them at new-age shops or aroma-therapy shops. I plan to put that
on a chain, or a cord, and wear that from Campo to Canada.
I thought I would share.
--
Randy Trick