[pct-l] Super Secrets - Switchback's Laws of Backpacking

Ha, ha, ha.  This should  really irritate some of the people on this list.
Very cool.  Let me give you two sets of  simple laws for backpacking for gear
and food.  Everything else is  secondary in regard to gear and food.  Get your
flame knives sharpened and I expect  the normal injury/death threats again for
my post.  No  problem.

I will be talking about these at  the PCTA TrailFest in Riverside, CA. I will
expand and give a more complete  explanation with examples.

First are the Laws of Backpacking  Gear.  No, light weight does not make the
list.  Here they  are:
1.  There is no perfect  gear.  You must know the pros and cons of your gear.
 Subsequently,  you should understand how to use your gear.
2.  Your gear should enhance  your safety and trip enjoyment/goals.

Yes, light weight does definitely  impacts law #2, but it is supplemental and
not an end all.  The gram  counting weenies will now have me on their hit
list.  Ha, ha, ha.  Too  bad.  I don't care.

The second set of laws are the Laws  of Backpacking Food.  Here they are:
1.  You must take food you  will eat (this is much more complex than most
people think).  Better yet,  food you enjoying eating.  Food that motivates you.
Food that you  look forward to eating and is satisfying.
2.  Your food should be  nutritious for your particular trip and medical
needs.  The longer  your trip the more important this law.

Of course, some will say that all  of this is common sense if you know
anything about backpacking and hiking ---if  you have any experience at all.

No so fast you gear and food  gunslinger.  If you truly understand these
Laws, you are a  rarity.

See you at the gear program at  TrailFest.

Your hiking buddy,  Switchback
1970 PCT Section Hiker & Camp  Tomfoolery