[pct-l] border patrol?

When I first "scouted out" my own section KO from Campo, I drove out to
the southern terminus to see where I can park cars to shuttle a Boy
Scout Troop.
At the border, there was a BP Jeep simply parked and overlooking the
fence. I asked the officer about hiking the PCT from Campo to Morena and
about the fire roads (patrol roads?) that criss-cross the hills between
the fence and the 8 freeway. He gave me great info on the property
owners who grant access to these roads and told me what to expect with
respect to the illegals crossing over. He also told me to check in at
the station when we started our hike, so they knew who was tripping the
sensors along the trail.
All good info and given gladly by the officer.

While on the trail, We encountered a few officers, mainly on the dirt
roads getting to and from the trail. All were polite and friendly.

Though the border between San Diego and Thermal probably get much more
activity than Big Bend, the attitude (IMHO) of both the local residents
and the BP is more "friendly" (for lack of a better word) toward the
illegals. From my experience, Texans are a bit more anti-immigrant than
Southern Californians. I'm not justifying either attitude one way or the
other, or making commentary on the illegal immigrant issue in general.
Just passing along my experience with the BP along the PCT. You'll stop
seeing BP on the trail once you cross the 8 freeway, and you'll stop
seeing evidence of illegal immigrants once you pass Mt Laguna.

Just to pass along my experience:
The BP are friendly and helpful along the border around the PCT.
I haven't encountered immigrants on the PCT, but I have met a few who
have successfully crossed and my impression is that they don't want to
come into contact with anyone until they get past the main BOP
checkpoints and melt into society.
I've not heard of any PCT hikers who have had any bad experiences with
illegals.

Michael Saenz ,  Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE          MVE    Institutional         MVE    S t u d i o
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m