[pct-l] Random observations

Some tongue-in-cheek, some not.  Random observations.

Super bunch of people on and around the PCT.  I really.I haven't met
anyone on the PCT I don't like, nor have I read anyone on this board
I think I wouldn't.

 From this board, I'd assume that most of the traffic on the PCT is a
NOBO party, a clump, sort of like a snake swallowing an egg.  People
leave at about the same time from Campo, and not quite together but
within a fairly narrow time frame.  And more than a few are
pre-occupied with alcohol and sex.

Even though it sounds like a rolling party, I'm guessing those folks
seriously concerned about sex don't have interested partners.  (Those
that do don't seem to have to talk so much.)  Reading a bit between
the lines, I'm assuming they not only are growing hair on their palms
and going blind, their memories are shot.  Who would forget?  That's
scary.  And scarier is anyone who would buy the book - after all, the
back seat of a car is superb cross-training for the doubles event,
and who needs it for the singles?

Seems to be an incredible amount of off-topic stuff.  The
wheat-to-chaff ratio re the PCT is pretty low.  However, in addition
to, and also, much of the "chaff" seems relevant to most folks, and
not inappropriate.

And, this board is a super source of information if one
asks.  Absolutely superb.

Gotta admit I'm pumped.  Don't know that backpacking is addictive,
but through-hiking sure is.

A question and an observation.  What is the prevailing wisdom
regarding water purification on the PCT?  Any consensus on filters?

And with the MSR Superfly stove, one wouldn't have to purchase fuel
on the Oregon section.  The hiker boxes had plenty.  Alcohol, too,
but most of it was 70%.  Don't know if that's useful.  The fuel may
not be there, either, if a larger group were travelling in reasonably
close proximity.

Corky
Poco loco solo sobo hobo lobo