[pct-l] Random observations

Don't be fooled by all the post chatter.  Although the ADZ has caused the "snake & egg" effect (though it's now a snake & cantelope, evolving toward snake & watermelon), people start the trail when their schedules allow, which means many don't leave Campo until early/mid/late May and even June.

Nor is the hike a continuous non-stop party.  Even in the thick of the season, when people gather here at Hiker Heaven, they are shocked to find so many others who were also in the same vicinity at the same time.  Because everyone is moving most of the time, unless you're aggressively moving and passing people, you only see them occasionally.   Towns like Big Bear are big enough that you're not likely to see everyone taking a zero there.  That's one of the unique things about our place -- pretty much everyone stays here, and stays at least a few days, and this allows for a gathering and for the good times to roll, as they say.  Same thing happens at Kennedy Meadows.  It's my understanding that the crowd really begins to string out once they're into the Sierras.

There are folks of every disposition and attitude imaginable hiking the PCT, and they cover the spectrum from completely to never sober.  There are ex-cons and grandmas, ministers and atheists, those on a spiritual pilgrimage and those on a giant pub crawl.  The vast majority are in the middle somewhere.  The trail has an amazing effect on people; it's humbling, and it strips away all of the trappings of our workaday and agenda-filled lives and reveals the innermost layers of being.   You will cut to the chase and bond faster with some people on the trail than people you may have associated with for years in the "real world."  And that's what makes it an experience like no other.

Looking forward to having you stop and stay a spell.

L-Rod