[pct-l] For the vets here...

You might want to do a little research before forwarding 3 year old emails,
especially when doing so to email lists about hiking the pct.(not sure how
this relates to hiking or the pct by the way).

P.S.- I'm a vet and I hate when people use that to try to get their way. I
don't need any thanks for defending freedom, freedom is thanks enough.
**
*The claim that Target did not support veterans was false. Not only is the
corporation one of the most generous business entities in the U.S.,
routinely topping Forbes magazine's list of "America's Most Philanthropic
Companies," it donates to veteran-related causes, including
**exhibits*<http://www.vvmf.org/index.cfm?SectionID=3>
* like the one it was pilloried over its supposedly having given the cold
shoulder.*

Dick Forrey represents the Howard County (Indiana) Vietnam Veterans
organization. In March, 2002, Forrey approached an employee at the local
Target store and asked for a monetary contribution to bring the "Traveling
Wall," a mobile half-scale replica of the Vietnam Memorial in Washing D.C.,
to his area. What happened after that remains a case of "he said, they
said."

Daniel Cleland, Customer Service Team Leader for Target, told
BreakTheChain.org in 2002 that Target is dedicated to community service, but
like most companies, has policies and procedures that must be followed. He
explained that Mr. Forrey's frustrations were caused by miscommunication and
a failure to observe established guidelines.

   "In March of 2002, a veteran approached one of our stores seeking a $100
donation for a display of the "moving wall" in his area. Target does support
events in the communities in which our stores are located. While each store
determines which events to sponsor, any contribution is limited and is made
in the form of a gift card. The stores are not able to give cash
contributions to any organization. Stores are also able to donate volunteer
hours to community events and projects.

"Our corporate giving program that does incorporate cash donations is
handled through a process called grants. Unfortunately, the veteran and his
organization were not provided the proper information to facilitate
consideration of a grant from either the store or our corporate office. The
initial response of the team member at the store and the reply from our
corporate office are inconsistent with the respectful manner in which we
want all of our guests to be treated. We are truly sorry for this oversight
and the resulting confusion that has taken place.

"We accept all applications for grants from January 1 to September 30 of
each calendar year. Any guest can request a grants application brochure at
their local store, called "Grant Guidelines." Veterans programs may be
considered for grants if the subject matter falls into one of our three
general areas of giving: education, arts and family violence prevention."

At that time, Mr. Forrey remained unconvinced. He told
BreakTheChain.orgthat he attempted to apply for a community grant, but
was again told that
his organization did not fit the "three general areas of giving:"

   "They finally send me a e-mail trying to explain the same thing they said
to start with except that we could apply for a grant. I then ask for a grant
application and was given the same answer. We as veterans don't meet their
requirements for donating. Right back to what I was told to start with. I
don't care if anyone else wants to spend money with Target but I sure
won't."

    <javascript:openTFwindow()>  [image: doteasy.com - free web hosting.
Free hosting with no banners.] <http://www.doteasy.com/>
please enable browser's Javascript to use the Tell-A-Friend tool.