[pct-l] When to start a southbound?

SpaceJaggy,

I'm no expert, just sobo hikertrash, but I started in Manning in 2004 on Jul
31 & finished in Campo on Nov 20. I did feel compelled to keep moving the
whole time (late start & fear of the dreaded sierra snow), but I know others
have started later (Scott W., e.g for his yo-yo).  I also took several
zeroes. You know, a guy's gotta live. (Plus, I reeealllly like zeroes.)

I'd hoped to get throught the high Sierra before mid October. I was on
Whitney on Oct 16th. Had a number of storms from there south. Starting a few
weeks earlier would have made a big difference that year. Last year I can't
speak to (was on the CDT), but I know several people went sobo.

I'm an native Oregonion, still here. Feel free to contact me anytime.

savant

---------------------------------------
Hi all. My trail name's SpaceJaggy and I've been wanting to hike the PCT
since I found my dad's books and heard his tale of woe. He wanted to do it,
collected all the lit, never did more than section hikes, mostly in Oregon
and Washington. I'm from Oregon, myself. Anywa, this year I'm finally past
some feet injuries and I assumed I'd nobo a thru-hike. But here's the catch
- I don't get out of the military until the end of July. So even if I take a
month and a half terminal (dunno if I can save up that much leave - I pretty
much have to get /away/ now and again) that'd still put me starting in
mid-June. That's too late for my comfort zone... so I figure, I'll sobo it.
But how late to start?

When does snow start falling in the Sierras? I'm in the Marines so I'll be
physically fit.. I don't really have an average hiking pace figured out but
twenty miles a day sounds good. I figure I'll get a better idea as I start
doing long weekends for training. What's the latest anybody's started in
Manning and pulled it off? What's a bad year for snow in the Sierras? I've
been reading a lot of sites and they're all northbound, which is great for
motivation and those picky trail details, but is there a Sanctuary of
Southbound Secrets I've overlooked? Anybody done a southbound hike I can
bother?

Thanks in advance. You guys rock, section hikers and thru-hikers alike.
SpaceJaggy